Pentobarbital is in a group of drugs called barbiturates (bar-BIT-chur-ates) .Nembutal functions are sedative, hypnotic for short term, preanesthetic and control of convulsions in emergencies. It is also used as a veterinary anesthetic agent. This medication also has an application in reducing intracranial pressure in Reye’s syndrome, traumatic brain injury and induction of coma in cerebral ischemia patients.
Uses of Pentobarbital:
Also treats seizures in emergency cases and to cause patients fall asleep for surgery.
It is a great veterinary anesthetic agent. Also use as a suicide pills.
How to use pentobarbital:
- You should not use this medication if you are allergic to pentobarbital, or if you have porphyria (a genetic enzyme disorder that causes symptoms affecting the skin or nervous system).
- Before using pentobarbital, tell your doctor if you have liver or kidney disease, chronic pain, severe or uncontrolled asthma or COPD, a history of mental illness or suicide attempt, or a history of addiction to drugs or alcohol.
- Also Pentobarbital may be habit-forming and should be used only by the person it was prescribed for. Pentobarbital should never be shared with another person, especially someone who has a history of drug abuse or addiction. Keep the medication in a secure place where others cannot get to it.
- So Pentobarbital can cause side effects that may impair your thinking or reactions. Be careful if you drive or do anything that requires you to be awake and alert.
- Avoid drinking alcohol. Alcohol can also add to sleepiness caused by pentobarbital.
- Pentobarbital can make birth control pills less effective. Ask your doctor about using a non-hormone method of birth control to prevent pregnancy while using pentobarbital.